Think clouds were something that belonged in the sky? Not anymore!! In recent years, cloud computing has really taken off and now included in all aspects of IT.
But what is cloud computing? In the simplest of terms, it is IT-as-a-Service. Instead of building an IT infrastructure of your own to host databases or software, a third party hosts them in its large server farms. Your company has access to its data and software over the internet.
Though cloud computing is only a very recent thing, there have already been many noticeable benefits:
- Cheap: IT providers are able to host services for multiple companies; sharing complex infrastructure is cost-efficient. There is no investment in internal or external hardware you simply pay only for what you actually use.
- Quick: The most basic cloud services work out of the box; for more complex software and database solutions, cloud computing allows you to skip the hardware procurement and capital expenditure phase – it’s perfect for start-ups.
- Up-to-date: Most providers constantly update their software offering, adding new features as they become available.
- Scalable: If your business is growing fast or has seasonal spikes, you can go large quickly because cloud systems are built to cope with sharp increases in workload.
- Mobile: Cloud services are designed to be used from a distance, so if you have a mobile workforce, your staff will have access to most of your systems on the go.
Many of the key players in the IT industry have recently noted the advances in cloud computing and have said that this is the year to ‘get your cloud strategy together’. IT is now a utility, consumed like electricity and water… it is a necessity in modern day life especially in the business environment which emphasises the importance of keeping up to date and ensuring that information is stored in the safest place possible.
The latest SmarterWays product that utilises cloud computing is the Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Online which sees backup and recovery being stored online and works out far cheaper for companies.
Acronis have just brought out a new recovery solution to address on-site and local backup issues… ‘Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Online’. It is an innovative solution that provides an online, remote, secure location so users can store files and system image backups without having to invest in additional hardware such as remote data stores for the remote redundancy of backup files. One console manages all backup and recovery efforts regardless of the data’s actual location.
Unlike a lot of other online backup services, Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Online does more than just protect your files. In technical terms, the solution leverages Acronis’ patented Disk imaging technology and Cloud technology which the SmarterWays technicians explain ‘It basically means it provides protection for your company’s whole systems, operating systems and applications’.
To find out more about cloud computing and the backup solutions that we can offer you, please get in touch.